Saturday 5 November 2011

Initial thoughts - Newspaper

I have been having some initial thoughts in terms of how I want to lay out my newspaper, as well as what I want to include in it.

  • Because my newspaper needs to be local, I will base it in Cornwall, maybe even just North Cornwall or the Bodmin area. This way I can more easily get stories in more detail, as I don't have a team of journalists like big newspaper companies do.
    • If I based it around Cornwall, I could attain my news stories via the county website and interviewing people.
      • The fact I can drive and have a car will assist me in this as I will not be restricted to where I can go out and take primary images, information and interviews.
  • In terms of my style of newspaper, I want to meet conventions of local newspapers by making it broadsheet, but at the same time I want to make it smaller as a compact paper, much like i newspaper and how The Times is now since it moved from pure broadsheet to compact.
  • Within my newspaper, I will need to be current and up to date in terms of technology use, as this is an area I feel local newspapers do not explore enough. With this young generation being the most actively involved in technology, it is critical that I can tap into this to pick up a younger audience.
    • I want a younger audience so I could write for them and aim my stories at them. Similarly, I think there is a gap in the market, especially in Cornwall, for a regional newspaper that would appeal to young people. While I do not want to use colours, immature fonts and pictures to lure in a young audience (this does not work anyway!), or base my whole paper around news for young people, I want it to appeal in the same way that internet news websites do. To do this, I will need to quote technology such as Twitter, give news on technology, such as how it will effect people from Cornwall.

1 comment:

  1. Good you are thinking about conventions from real newspapers and how to tailor your product to the needs of your target audience.

    ReplyDelete